Wednesday, February 8, 2017

When You Want a Steak!

I stopped eating beef almost 20 years ago!  I used pork as a substitute for years, but recently gave it up too since it started causing shortness of breath.  It sometimes would give me migraines, but the shortness of breath was more serious.  So meals have been really boring.  Now, I think I may have a good substitute for steak!  I truly miss the tough and chewy texture of steak, roasts, and pork chops. I found that slicing the side of a turkey leg and doing a water steam/grill in its broth works really well. 

The key on this journey is to just think WAY outside of the box!  I found that shaping ground turkey like a large piece of steak helps. The texture is still soft though, but it looks nice on the plate.

Ground turkey patty in a rectangle shape with vegetables
 
Texture success came from using a whole turkey leg and slicing it on the side!  For best results, slice the turkey leg when it is slightly frozen. The legs can also be cooked in crock pot and used like pulled pork to make sandwiches. Legs are usually easier to find, but other cuts probably work too.

Turkey leg sliced into steak with steamed Lacinato kale

No comments:

Post a Comment