Friday, September 2, 2016

Rhubarb Preserve

Rhubarb Preserve in canning jar
Preserves and jellies are so easy to make. I try not to do a lot of sugar, but we all have our weaknesses! It only takes a dab on my bread with some butter to satisfy the
craving. So, I rarely go overboard with them. I struggle with a lot of the common fruits used to make preserves and jellies. Also, most have things like citric acid and gelatin that I am sensitive to as well. In the past, I have made pear preserves, pomegranate jelly, and lime marmalade! Today, I finally got a chance to cook with rhubarb, which is one of my safe fruits. I was a proud mama of my results. Isn't she pretty! Fresh rhubarb is only available a limited time during the season. I found my rhubarb at Publix in the frozen fruit section though.

Recipe :
16 oz (2 cups) chopped rhubarb
2 cups sugar
1 TBS Gerber baby pear juice or just juice from fresh lime (prevents sugar from crystallization as it cools)

Place all ingredients in a heavy bottom pot.  (Don't worry, it makes its own juice!) Cover and cook on medium high for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally. Mash fruit as it soften. Remove from the heat and pour into a glass jar.  It will thicken more as it cools. It will thicken more as it cools.  Best to keep in refrigerator since no preservatives.  Enjoy!

Frozen Rhubarb from Publix grocery
Early stage of rhubarb, sugar...

Starting to bubble and thicken

After 20 minutes of cooking - ready!



No comments:

Post a Comment