Monday, September 15, 2014

Twisting Hair with Car Sponge?

This weekend, I was inspired by a video that one of my sisters sent.  The video showed how simple it was to twist your hair with a sponge.  I had actually saw this done a few years ago at a natural hair show.  So I went to YouTube and saw that there were several tutorials on the subjects.  Basically here are the steps:

Steps
1.  Purchase a car washing sponge from a automobile shop, or the car section of a retail store. 
2.  Next draw circles onto the sponge that will be used as a guide for cutting.  You can skip this step by purchasing a sea sponge that has holes naturally.  I saw someone on YouTube get similar results from a sea sponge!
3.  Now cut shallow holes in the sponge by following the circles that have been drawn.
4.  Place hair lotion in the hair, then gently rub the sponge in a circular motion.  It is best to focus on a small section of hair for a few seconds, then move to the next section.

It is really that simple, and amazing how quick the hair coils (5-10 minutes to complete).   

Products for those who are sensitive
I recommend washing the hair first.  Looking for a shampoo bar?  Then try Fanuppa's gentle Smoothie shampoo soap bar that is loaded with the natural fruits of pomegranate, pear, and bananas.  The base oil is rice bran oil, so no tree nuts.

For hair lotion, I use Vanicream Light.  I was introduced to it by my dermatologist.  I know petroleum based products are frowned on by those going natural, but this is my back up option when too busy to make my own lotion (recipe) with rice bran oil.  My first goal is no allergic reactions.  It doesn't contain harmful chemicals.  Petroleum blocks moisture, which is good and bad.  It is great for hair frizz, but probably not as great for the scalp.  Regular shampooing and vinegar rinse will offset. 

Thanks,
Fanuppa Soaps

No comments:

Post a Comment