Wednesday, June 25, 2014

The ph Level of Your Skin

My family teases and calls me a mad scientist since I started creating my own bath and hair products. It is really funny considering that I never had an interest in science in school.  I joined the Science Club in high school because they went on the best field trips! Math was always my favorite subject.  Over the years, I have learned that science requires some math skills and I have always been fascinated with how things work.  I guess science has grown on me.  I found the new Cosmos television show interesting too!

Speaking science, there is this wonderful "ph" scale that is used to measure acid and alkaline levels from a range of 1 to 14. Water is neutral at 7, acids range from 1 to 6, and 8 to 14 are the alkaline. The ph strips can be purchased at your local pharmacy to do measurements. Our skin is considered healthy and normal when it measures 5.5 on the scale, so it is slightly acidic.  The goal with your skin is to keep it at this level to prevent dry and oily skin conditions, and bacteria infections.  Soap gets bad press because it normally has a ph between 9 and 10. The truth is that soap has to be at this level to help remove oil, dirt, and bacteria from your skin.  Healthy skin is really good at returning back to normal levels after a bath.  For more sensitive areas of the body like the face, I recommend a good toner to help lower the ph level faster.

Fanuppa's toner has a ph level of around 5, which is perfect for helping to reset your skin after using soap.  It is herb infused, lime scented, and uses vinegar to create the perfect balance for the skin. To learn more click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment