Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Pizza with no carbs/gluten-free!


Delicious guilt free pizza!
I just completed 3 months on the diet!  I use cauliflower now regularly in my diet.  Six months ago, you probably could not get me to eat it.  This journey has opened my eyes to appreciate it, asparagus, and many other vegetables.  Cauliflower is a hidden jewel of vegetables, because it can be transformed and imitate many other foods that I have to limit. Checkout this link for more inspiration.  Cauliflower is perfect for my diet, and for my food intolerance (low salicylate).  I was amazed that it can be used like flour, and it is gluten free.

Today, I am sharing a recipe for pizza.  I usually make this during phase 2 of my diet, when I can only can have protein and vegetables.  It feels more like a treat, than cutting back. 

INGREDIENTS
  • 1/2 head of fresh cauliflower florets
  • 3 TBS egg whites (used type in carton)
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp parsley
  • 1/3 c. grated parmesan cheese
  • parchment paper
  • pizza sauce, mozzarella, and other toppings of choice.  (Note: I placed a large fresh tomato in juicer, and kept the pulp for my sauce.  This allows me to control the variety of tomato used, preservatives, and the seasonings that may be irritating for my food intolerance).

INSTRUCTIONS
  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
  • Add cauliflower florets to juicer
  • Discard juice, and keep the pulp
Juice (discard) & pulp












dough- shaped but uncooked
  • Measure 2 cups of cauliflower pulp
  • Place the cauliflower pulp, egg whites, salt, parsley, and parmesan cheese in a large mixing bowl and mix well
  • Cover baking pan with parchment paper
  • Place cauliflower mixture onto the parchment paper and shape the dough into round or rectangular pizza crust(s) (see picture)




  • Bake the dough for 10 - 15 minutes, until lightly brown in spots (no longer wet to the touch - see picture)
  • Remove from the oven and top with your favorites (I used turkey bacon, kale, onion, bell peppers, and mozzarella cheese- pictured at top)  Note:  It is a sturdy but soft crust, so I left it on the parchment paper through the whole process.
crust after baking

  • Return to oven and bake for 5-7 minutes to melt the cheese and steam other toppings
This is a labor of love!  It took me about an hour.  So I suggest making a big batch and freezing several personal size crusts.

Enjoy,
Fanuppa
Update: Originally posted 10/5/15. Later found that cauliflower is not a Fast Metabolism Diet - Phase 2 vegetable. Only should eat in Phase 3.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment