Friday, January 13, 2017

Carrot "Hot Dog"

Chili Cheese Carrot Dog!
I have been craving a chili cheese dog for several days.  I bought a bag of carrots and decided that I am going to enjoy one by using a carrot for the hot dog.  I was inspired by carrot dog recipes that vegans use.  Surprisingly, carrots can be shaped to actually look like a hot dog. I have tried shaping ground turkey into a hot dog, but the texture just was not right.  Also, the flavor and appearance was horrible.  I was not thinking that carrots would work well either, but was willing to try anything when the craving went into overdrive. 

Why not eat a regular hot dog? I struggle with hot dogs because of all the spices that are added (spices are high in Salicylates).  Also, there is usually red food coloring and preservatives that irritate me too.  I eat regular hot dogs and get a pressure like feeling in my lower stomach, and risk the next day getting joint pain or other problems.  Carrots actually offered a smooth texture that reminded me more of hot dogs. (Note: Carrots are moderate in Salicylates. So limit to one!) Adding the chili sauce on top actually masked the flavor of the carrot (okay to me - someone who misses hot dogs, but my son said it taste like a carrot, lol!). 

I had been studying recipes online for days, and trying to decide how to season the hot dog so that it was safe and tasted sort of like a hot dog.  I started boiling the water to soften the carrots, and then it hit me!  The secret seasoning is SALT. Yep, I had flashbacks of my grandmother boiling hot dogs when I was a kid.  She normally would boil them twice to remove salt!  So, I add plenty of salt to the water.  I added some rice vinegar, dash of liquid smoke, garlic powder and onion powder since other recipes had mentioned them (they also had other spices I can't have).  Then I added a seasoning that doesn't normally irritate me, thyme leaves - gives a sausage flavor.  Next I added the secret ingredient that I add to most recipes to make them pop, a little onion soup mix.  I could feel my grandmother guiding me again! This hot dog was going to be great...wish I had a hot grill - next time (probably dip it in oil first if grilling)!

I did a dash of this and a dash of that, so these are my best estimates.  I didn't do a marinate and soak for hours or days like some recipes, but do what you feel.  I just boiled the ingredients in the water.

RECIPE:
2 peeled carrots (or more if you would like)
water (enough to cover the carrots in a skillet, add more as needed)
2 tsp. salt
2 TBS rice vinegar
1/2 tsp. liquid smoke
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. thyme leaves (skip if sensitive, but doesn't irritate me)
(Optional: chili recipe here)

Peel two carrots and place in boiling water.  Add all the other ingredients to the water, and continue to boil until the carrots are soft but still firm.  As the water evaporate, continue to add water until ready.  Add the carrot dog to a bun. I used potato bread buns to heighten the flavors.  Top with your favorite, safe toppings. I topped with chili! 


UPDATE:
Chili and cheese is just one version for this hot dog.  Coleslaw is another safe option.  Add sides like fries, potato chips, potato salad (chickpea version is good too)!
Carrot on bun before chili added

carrots boiling in water



No comments:

Post a Comment