Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Rice Bowl

A really simple dish for me to prepare is a rice bowl.  I consider it more of an assembly then a recipe.  It is really simple and you can change it up any way you like.  (Great for FMD Phase 1 - Lunch)

Ingredients:
Chicken (I use skinless, boneless thighs from Publix)
Brown Rice (I buy the frozen kind from Trader Joe's)
Vegetable(s) - (I used Brussels sprouts from Trader Joe's, but options are endless)
Beans - (I didn't add for this combination, but my favorite is cooked black beans)
Fruit (I used frozen figs from Trader Joe's, but any safe fruit works)
Seasoning (I used chili-lime sea salt, Mrs. Dash Onion blend, and some parsley)

Step one is to season and cook the chicken.  I just steamed it.  The broth that remains can be used to steam the rice and vegetables (Brussels sprouts).  Cut the chicken into pieces and add the rice, vegetable(s), beans, fruit (figs).  
(I don't normally heat the figs because fruit has more nutrients if not cooked.  I normally just let the steam from the other items warm the figs.)  

Tomorrow you can enjoy this dish again, or change it up slightly with a different meat, different fruit, different vegetables, red beans or chickpeas - combinations are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment