Saturday, July 19, 2014

To Glycerin or Not

Should you use glycerin on your natural hair?  That is a great question.  It came to mind as I was outside at the local farmers market. I was trying to sell natural soap after it had poured down raining.  The rain stopped, but the air was really humid as you can imagine.  I had a hat on my head (lol).   I hate trying to sell soap when it is really humid.  My display had to be simplified.  Just one bar per type, and I kept the rest of the soaps covered to protect them.  Let's talk through why I covered the soap.

AN EXAMPLE
One of the great features of natural soap is that it contains glycerin.  Glycerin is a naturally occurring by-product of soap making.  It is the type in most beauty products.  There is also crude glycerin which is a by-product of bio-diesel production.  Glycerin is moisturizing for the body, but it makes my displayed soap bars feel wet and slippery just from being exposed to the humid air without rain ever touching them.  Why?

CLOSER LOOK
As my example indicates the air is a huge factor in deciding to use glycerin on your hair.  Glycerin attracts water from the air.  On a rainy day it will work great.  It also will work better during warmer seasons.  As it gets cooler and the air is dryer, glycerin will still absorb water but from the only source it has - your hair!  So how well your hair shafts allow moisture in, becomes a factor in using it too.  The season is a bigger factor, but the air where you work and live may be cool and drying too, regardless of the season.

ALLERGIES/SENSITIVITIES
Another factor in deciding to use glycerin is allergies and sensitivities.  I decided not to use it because of this factor.  Depending on the type of oil or fat used to make the soap, glycerin can be vegetable or animal based.  Normally it is derived from coconut or palm oil so it is not for my hair (salicylate and tree-nut sensitivity).  However, if you don't have any issues from using these oils then enjoy.

Hope this helps.  Got soap!





No comments:

Post a Comment