Friday, July 11, 2014

Week 2 of Diet


Last Friday was July 4th so I took a break from blogging.  Hate I didn't get to share all my food fun with you last week!  I started the Fast Metabolism Diet on June 30th.  I wanted to see if I could actually do this diet with my multiple food sensitivities and actually drop some pounds.  My first week started great, however by the evening of the 5th day I was experiencing food reactions.  My husband and I decided to do the diet together. So to save time and money, I found myself eating strawberries, mushrooms, spinach, coconut oil, and other trigger foods.  I watched the fireworks while being sick, and I spent most of Saturday in the bed with joint pain and migraine. The good news is that I lost 7.5 lbs so far!

MAKING CHANGES
I refused to give up though!  It just meant that for some meals, I would be fixing 3 different meals (something for myself, hubby, and the kids).  Before this diet, I knew that I was not eating enough vegetables or fruit.  There were only a few fruits and vegetables that I could eat without getting sick.  I regularly ate celery, cabbage, potatoes, and bananas.  The new diet meant giving up potatoes and bananas, but I could still eat my cabbage and celery. 

FRUITS 
I had to branch out and think outside of the box.  I started week 2 frustated that I was giving things up in my already limited diet, but it has actually made me find new foods that I can eat!  It does mean spending a little more for fruits.  I was surprised to learn that pomegranates cost $3 each, but I will try to eat 2 per week.  I normally buy the juice, but no juice allowed on the diet. My fruits on the diet are lime, pears, yellow apples, pomegranate, and mango (yep the more expensive fruits!).  Hubby is enjoying lemons, limes, green apples, red apples, strawberries, oranges, and peaches. 

VEGETABLES
Vegetables has also been challenging.  Since I am eating them daily and several times per day, I had to find more variety of vegetables that didn't trigger a food reaction.  It was nice to learn that kale is in the same food family as cabbage, and it also is high in calcium.  Other vegetables that I added to my veggie list this week are bok choy (chinese cabbage - baby and larger variety) and sunflower sprouts.  My veggie list also includes tomatoes, iceberg lettuce, and cucumbers (peeled and seeds removed). 


PROTEINS
Protein snacks are a challenge with the diet too.  I had to give up cheese and yogurt, but I have been enjoying nitrate/nitrite free turkey bacon and egg whites.  I also tried a protein rich salad dressing made with egg whites.  It wasn't blue cheese, but not bad.  Here is the recipe.  I made it with limes and parsley. 



by Haylie Pomroy

(below are some of my notes from her book, website, and my experience)

There are lots of rules - so I recommend reading the book, but they are manageable adjustments.  I have summarized some of them:

·         No diary (can have rice milk, almond milk or other types of milk)

o   Rice Milk drink during Phase 1 and 3 (considered a Grain so can’t have during Phase2)

o   Almond/Coconut Milk  drink during Phase3 (Fatty Protein)

o   Select Kale or Veggies with calcium for Phase 2

·         No sugar, wheat (can eat spelt or rice bread - found in organic freezer section)

·         Eat within first 30 minutes of waking up (challenge, I average first hour)

·         You eat and exercise according to day of the week.  The week is split into 3 phases (the log sheet file is a reminder of what to eat for each day).

·         Exercise is actually not that bad.  You do it according to the phase.
    • Mon or Tues -Phase 1 - walk or do something that requires movement 
    • Wed or Thur - Phase 2 - do some type of weight lifting to go with the high protein phase of the diet
    • Fri, Sat, or Sun – Phase 3 - do something relaxing like massage, yoga, stretching, sauna (first time experience-enjoyed sauna last Friday at YMCA!)
·         Snack in between your meals (different for each phase, but on log sheet that is attached)

·         Drink water, half your body weight in ounces (ex. 150 lbs. drink 75 oz.)

 Poplar diet so lots of recipes ideas online.  Hope this helps.  Let me know if any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment