Monday, June 16, 2014

New Hair Blog is Born


Why a new natural hair blog??!!! If you haven't notice many women are loving their natural hair.  The sale of relaxers are down almost 30%, and the natural hair community has its own language.  There are many great natural hair blogs out there, so what do I plan to add?  I want to focus on the challenge of being a natural and being sensitive to tree nut oils, coconut oil, aloe vera, and many other ingredients.  I want to tell my transition story, my routine, and why I transitioned.  Lastly, I want to share products that have worked for me and my sensitive body.

Most products are not made for people with tree nut and coconut oil sensitivity.  I honestly never notice that before the transition. However when I started using more gels and creams for my natural hair styles my head hurt, scalp itched, eyes burned, and yes hair loss. When I had a relaxer, I usually just shampoo, blow dry, and style with little to no product.  So the transition meant adding more products and more irritation.  So with more product on my scalp daily, my body started rejecting this change.  I would always get a headache and eye irritation from getting a relaxer, but it was always worth it every few month.  However, I could not take this daily!

Transitioning for me has not been easy.  I have very thick hair, so I actually tried two other times.  The first two times I would go without a relaxer for a few months then reach a point where I could not comb my hair! Then I would call and make an appointment for a relaxer.  After two years of doing this, the natural hair movement became even more popular and I really wanted it more than ever.  So I knew I had to find a way to manage my new hair. I also had to learn how to be natural in cold and hot weather.  There was so much to learn.  The good thing now was that others around me were natural too.  So we could share ideas and tips to help each others.  You quickly learn that each person's hair is different, so you have to find what works for you.  So the more you learn the better.

Another amazing thing about the natural hair movement are all the new products available for natural hair. However, what products can I use?  I already made my own body soap, so I quickly found out I had to make my own hair products.  Making a shampoo bar was easy, but how on earth do I detangle my hair.  I also wanted to condition and do protein treatment.  Is there anything that works like argan oil (tree nut) that will not irritate?

I think this blog is needed.  Someone who is passionate about natural hair and finding products options for those with tree nut, coconut oil, and other irritating ingredients. I look forward to expanding upon on the topics each week.  (You can find my hair products on Etsy.)

  

No comments:

Post a Comment