Monday, June 23, 2014

The Weekend and Natural Hair

Weekends are great for natural hair adventures.  It is an opportunity to test products and different styles, go places to see other natural hair styles, and if lucky -discuss the journey with others.

TEST PRODUCTS AND DIFFERENT STYLES
During the week, it is hard to test products and styles because if something does not to work, then there is limited time to fix it before work. Also, with allergies it is good to test new products on the weekend in case there is a reaction.
   
GO TO A FREE NATURAL HAIR "SHOW"
Getting out during the weekend is like going to a natural hair show.  I enjoy going to different social events (birthday club, church...) and seeing the different hair styles. A young lady at church had her similar to the picture, but with a braid across the front.  It was really cute.

DISCUSS THE JOURNEY
During the weekend, I also enjoyed discussing with my three sisters the different stages of their journey. "Thinking about it", "just beginning", and "natural for several years."   I have been natural for about a year.  I still have some relaxer on my ends in the back to chop.

STYLING TIPS
My sister who has been natural for several years, actually styled my hair in the picture above. She added an elastic headband, then used a pick comb to lift the roots (don't pick the ends). As a newbie this was a great tip for me. The headband just disappears, and pushed the hair up.  This is great for the summer as my hair shrinks from the heat.  This is my first summer almost completely natural.  Most of my journey, I flat-ironed my hair. However, I knew that would not work that well for the summer heat. So I am excited to learn how to style my "new" hair.

While out shopping, I also met someone who wanted to know how I added texture to my hair. I use a combination of the shingle and two-strand twist to add texture.  There are great videos online that walk you through these methods.  Next week, I will give details on these methods.  Have a great week.  

You can find my Fanuppa hair products here.



No comments:

Post a Comment