Monday, June 30, 2014

Natural Hair May Be Easier!

Wearing my hair natural actually may be easier.  I can't believe that I am saying that!  A year ago, I was struggling on this journey.  My hair was damaged from products that irritated my scalp and made my hair feel hard and brittle.  For years, when I touched the back of my hair it was not uncommon to feel a tiny and dry piece of my hair break in my hand, or worst a bump.  Now I love playing in my hair because it is so soft.

MY EASY MORNINGS
My morning styling routine in the past meant curling my hair each day, or pulling it back into a tiny ponytail.  Most days I pulled it back because I really didn't have time to curl my hair every morning.  My hairdresser told me that pulling my hair back each day was hard on my hair, and possibly caused the breakage in the back.  So I usually tried to make a deal with myself to curl it 2-3 times a week.  I could not sleep in rollers, and the soft wrap type rollers created unpredictable styles.  Over time, I noticed that my hair didn't grow as long.  I blamed age, stress, and hormones.  It wasn't as exciting doing my hair, because it didn't feel right.  Glad all that has changed.  Hair should stretch and be able to handle the various styles that we take it through.  For me, staying away from ingredients that irritate made a 360 degree change.  I also highly recommend protein treatment for the hair to improve the stretch of the hair strands. Now my morning styling is usually done in the car because it is so simple.  I just undo my twist or mini-pineapples (we will discuss details of pineapple method next week - My Easy Night routine).

STYLING TIPS
Pictured is an example of the two strand twist.  Just grab two sections of your hair and twist tightly all the way to the very end. If you still have relaxer on the ends then add a small elastic hair bands to keep them from unraveling.  For the placement of the twists, I use two options. Sometimes I randomly place twist in the hair.  This option normally works okay when I do twist on dry hair.  Random dry twist are normally bigger and more puffy than the wet ones pictured.  Another option is to section your wet hair into 8 pieces like a pie then split each of those sections into 3 sections.  Yes, that means 24 twists versus about 8-12 with the random placement.  I use pie sectioning when I first wash my hair to make sure each section gets enough moisturizing hair product and to make sure the twists last a few days.  There are tons of puddings and hair moisturizing creams on the market for setting twists. Look for a product that contains water for setting your hair.  Just remember to read the ingredients if sensitive.  I use the Fanuppa Hair Moisturizer to set my twists which contains no tree nut oil.  To lock in the moisture, add a little pomade.














No comments:

Post a Comment