Monday, October 26, 2015

Calming the Soul Food Craving

Growing up on a farm in the South was super fun.  One of the best part was my grandmother's cooking.  I loved her biscuits, cornbread, gravy, turnip greens, fried fish, fried pies, and the list goes on!  She could make almost anything taste totally delicious, like rabbit with gravy.  I truly miss her, and she definitely inspired my interest in cooking.  She taught me how to make biscuits from scratch, and how to make the best desserts.  I think having fresh food from the farm, is possibly why I didn't know that I even had food intolerances until I was grown and moved away.


However, having food intolerances really limits my soul food options.  Below is a chart of some substitutes for some of my favorites.  Oh, for the fried pie she used sun dried peaches.  I could see this made with the golden delicious apples that I can eat.


Soul Food Category Substitute
Sweet Tea with Lemon Beverage Decaf Tea no lemon
Hot water corn bread Bread Almost Cornbread Recipe
Peach Cobbler Dessert Mango instead
Pecan Pie Dessert No corn syrup, egg pie with pecans
Banana Pudding Dessert From scratch, no yellow food coloring
Sweet Potato Pie Dessert Carrots instead
Fried Chicken Meat SAFE!!!!
Ribs Meat No pork, so chicken thighs with sauce
Fried Fish Meat SAFE!!!!
Smothered Pork Chop Meat Fry ground chicken patty with gravy
Turnip Greens Side Bok Choy instead
Macaroni  and Cheese Side SAFE!!!! - white cheeses
Sweet Potatoes Side Carrots instead
Fried Okra Side Maybe fry green beans or asparagus
Potato Salad Side SAFE!!!! - fresh and simple
Deviled Eggs Side SAFE!!!! - limit paprika
Spaghetti Side No sauce, use puree fresh tomato
Coleslaw Side SAFE!!!! - rice vinegar
Mashed Potato & Gravy Side Homemade gravy - no preservatives

No comments:

Post a Comment