Wednesday, October 7, 2015

How To Make Lotion

I make my own lotion because I'm sensitive to preservatives that are in most lotion.  Also the base oils in most lotions cause me irritation.  Funny thing, it is so easy to make lotion.  You can do it while watching television!  Heat the oil and water during commercial, and shake it up while watching your television show. 
Basically lotion is a union between oil and water.  These two have to have a bond that holds them together.  Otherwise they prefer to be separate.  My bonding ingredient is a tiny amount of soap, since I have plenty of it. You may see borax used in recipes too.  I have found that soap bonds better than borax. Plus you always hear mixed reviews on its safety.  You have two teams, oil and water.  Let's begin.
Recipe:
4 oz. rice bran oil
2 oz. water
1 TBS beeswax
1/8 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. all-natural tiny soap pieces (I used my oatmeal bar)

Measure and pour rice bran oil in a 16 ounce glass jar (the extra space will be used later for stirring everything). Next, measure and pour water in a separate glass jar (can be smaller).  Combine the rice bran oil and beeswax, and heat in the microwave for 2 minutes (add 30 seconds if beeswax not melted, check and repeat as needed). Remove from microwave and add the soap pieces so they become soft (don't worry the soap will dissolve). Set oil mixture aside and focus on the water. Heat the water in the glass jar in the microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds.  Remove the heated water from the microwave and add the baking soda (should fizz). Slowly pour the water into the oil mixture while stirring. Continue stirring for about 3 minutes.  Now place a top on the glass jar and gently shake for about 15-20 minutes (until the mixture becomes cool and turns to smooth lotion.)
All the ingredients (I only used the soap pieces in the spoon)
Early stage of combined ingredients
Mixture starting to stick to sides of jar and become smoother
We have lotion!


Early stage not smooth - don't stick to jar

1 comment:

  1. Looks good-I will order those ingredients and give it a try

    ReplyDelete