Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Cake Frosting

I am so excited to finally have a cake frosting recipe that I can fit into my diet (food intolerances and weight loss). I didn't think it was possible to make frosting without powdered/confectioners sugar. Getting the right texture is one of the challenges. Also, it needs to taste great. I don't use artificial sweetener. First of all, I don't think they're healthy for anybody. Secondly, they make my joints ache. I really want a recipe with no sugar, but low sugar will work for now. I will try a fruit sweeten version later.

Here are the steps for the Frosting!!!!
Step 1:
THE CUSTARD BASE
This recipe works great, but does require some extra prep time. There is science actually behind frosting! There must be a custard or pudding portion to stabilize the frosting (keep the butter from melting!). The custard part of the recipe has to cool before it's combined with the butter mixture. I cooked it the night before and let it cool in the refrigerator.
Recipe-
1 cup of rice milk (or any type of milk)
5 TBS spelt flour (or regular wheat flour)
Measure out 1 cup of milk. Put the 5 tablespoons of flour into a heavy bottom pot (that will later be used for heating it). Slowly add milk to the flour and stir until into forms a paste and later a liquid (the goal is to add it slowly to prevent lumps later).  Heat until thick like custard/pudding. Cool in refrigerator.

Step 2:
OIL BASE
We don't normally think oil when we think frosting. However, most mass produced basic frosting is just some solid oil like shortening mixed with confectioners sugar which is powdered regular sugar and cornstarch. For this recipe, we are using butter.
Recipe-
1 cup salted butter (2 sticks or 8 oz cream cheese - or 1/2 of each butter & cream cheese)
Start with room temperature butter. Whip until light and fluffy.

Step 3:
FLAVOR
If dieting for weight loss, you quickly learn that sugar is a flavor!  However, you learn to use less of it. It takes time but soon everything is too sweet. This recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar, but I only used 3 tablespoons. My taste buds wanted more sweetness. I will keep experimenting and update. I'm thinking of trying rice syrup next time.
1 cup of sugar (or less based on preference)
1 tsp of vanilla extract
Optional - Add other flavors like cocoa powder, instant coffee...
Add these ingredients to the butter. Next combine the butter mixture with the custard and blend until smooth.  Frost cake!
Rice milk in pot
Spelt flour measured
Combining the rice milk and spelt flour
Rice milk and spelt flour blended until smooth - ready to heat

No comments:

Post a Comment